Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Still wanna rebuild New Orleans?

[ QUOTE ]
Your post is lame. But, it does bring up a few questions I've had recently...

WTF does Cuba do? Do these [censored]'ers rebuild ever year or something? It seems like every storm at least partially hits them...

And double WTF?? Was the devil living in NO and get evacuated to Houston? It just seems like someone is trying to finish the job here...

OH! and tripple WTF!?!?! Why the [censored] haven't I made Jell-O recently?!?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP must have had a picture I have blocked -- I do that a lot so pages don't get slowed down by endless idiot avatars and pics.

As to structures surviving hurricanes, here's how they do it in Guam, which is typhoon hell. It gets bombarded by typhoons every year, and extremely frequently by severe ones. We barely even count a lot of the type that are strong enough to make the news in the continental U.S.

Basically, the poorest people live in aluminum shacks and they get blown out to sea. The next ladder up has wooden houses and sometimes they collapse and sometimes they don't, but they're very vulnerable and often need repairs. The termite problem is so bad there that wooden houses are not that good an idea for that reason, either.

The people who can afford it get reinforced concrete houses. These things are so strong you can drive a truck into them. All you have to do is board up the windows. Not that that will prevent a coconut going at 140 mph from blasting through, but you cross your fingers. Much fear during typhoons is eliminated that way, and a lot of a house is salvageable even after it has been through a fire.

It's the most expensive options, but a real relief to live in compared to a wooden house. And wooden houses are well built there, not like the ones here in California where I live now, where even millionaire's super expensive homes creak and sound like you're going to fall through a wall when you lean against it. But a wooden house in a hurricane is basically a huge gamble that's easily lost.