Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Man I totally forgot

[ QUOTE ]
The purpose of my post is only to understand where I am compared to other respected 2+2ers. Not as an ego thing by any means, but to use it to judge where my 'game' is compared to many of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is essentially asking where you measure up. I wasn't alluding to the penis stuff of the previous poster, but I was trying to be helpful. Following your winrate and seeing how it compares to other good players to see where your 'game is at' can be dangerously misleading - that's all I'm trying to say. Will it be most of the time? Probably not - it will many times be a relatively accurate portrayal of how you are doing in a game. But sometimes it won't be. A lot of times it won't be. If I run at 2.2bb/100 for 100k hands and you run at 1.9 bb/100 for 100k hands we have no clue who is the bigger long term winner. Anyways, most people will never play enough hands to see how truly fluctuating the bb/100 statistic can be.

People who obsess over this number will either be desperately trying to change their game when it may be just fine or becoming complacent with a game that is filled with leaks. Focusing on the finer points of your game on a daily basis is a far more productive exercise, but one that is far more difficult. Anyway, good luck to you Scott - I've never really had a problem with you, but your defensiveness and abrasiveness are pretty outrageous.

"I am quite sure I did NOT ask for people's opinion on meaningful sample size!"

Just like the guy who calls with AA in the big blind after a raise and 4 callers who says "I WAS NOT ASKING ABOUT THE PREFLOP PLAY! I WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE POSTFLOP DECISIONS!"

25k is meaningful. 10k is meaningful. 50k is certainly meaningful. About meaningful enough to discuss "beating the game" and "getting beat by the game," but disccussions of "is the game beatable by 1.5/100, or 1.8/100? or 2.2/100?" will just lead us in circles. This thread is a pretty good example of that.
-James