Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Value of multi-tabling ? (LONG)

I have played online on-and-off for about 4 years and recently the number of players multi-tabling has increased dramatically.

I currently play mostly on Prima at 2/4 full ring (although I will help to start a new table) and I find that if there are 3 full tables going at this limit, at least 3 or 4 of the players will be playing at all 3 tables.

I have dabbled with multi-tabling but have not really enjoyed the experience. I have felt under pressure to make decisions before I am ready and have felt as though I was only able to play my own cards, rather than play the opponent and his cards.

When I play against the multi-tablers I usually feel as though I know where I am in a hand with them, and take quite a bit of money from them, as I'm sure I can read them better than they can read me.

My question is this:

IS MULTI-TABLING REALLY AS PROFITABLE AS PEOPLE MAKE OUT?

The points I can see AGAINST multi-tabling are as follows:

1. Difficulty of analysis at the table
2. Relatively high bankroll requirements
(in relation to win-rate per table)
3. Difficult to IMPROVE 'player-playing' ability, as opposed to 'card-playing' ability - when games get tougher will the skills to adapt be there?
4. Stress caused by speed of response required must be mentally draining
5. ABC nature of play required
6. Game / seat selection may suffer at the desire to play the required number of tables
7. Boredom - to me, it seems like the multi-tablers existence is grim, almost like being on a treadmill.

I played 'professionally' for 3-4 months last summer when I lost my job. At that time there was less multi-tabling around than I see now, and less players, but I was happy for the most part playing 2/4 full(ish) table, for 25-30hrs per week, clearing $2000 per week after allowing for bankroll growth.

How many hours do you guys play and how much do you clear?

Would you enjoy the game more if you only played one table?

Could you make the same amount of money, playing less hours, on one table with better game / seat selection and a smaller bankroll? How would this affect the rest of your non-poker playing day?

BTW, I realise this is a one-eyed view of the multi-table strategy, so feel free to convince me otherwise.