Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2005, 02:50 PM

Default 75-150 Stud Hand: Simple Read or Pot Too Huge To Fold?

Here's an interesting 75-150 stud hand I played at the Taj Mahal last night. Suits don't matter in this hand. A deuce brings it in, some small cards fold and the player to my right completes with an ace up. He is not clueless, but is a little loose and goes to the river even when he knows he shouldn't. I am next with (Q,A) A and make it 150 to go. A solid player with an 8 up coldcalls (8's are live). Folded back to the gentleman on my right who now makes it 225. I decide to cap it and both of my opponents calls. On 4th, the boards are:

Loose Guy (x,x) A 7

Me (A,Q) A 3

Solid Player (x,x) 8 5

The loose guy bets, I raise, solid calls, loose calls.. Just to see his reaction, I ask solid if he's waiting for 5th street. He doesn't flinch. Then he says something like, "you both have aces, I love my pocket kings here," but it sounds bullshitty. I mean, let's look at it from his perspective. It's very obvious both me and the other guy have a pair of aces to start. And he is taking heat like a demon. I immediately put him on rolled trips b/c I can't think of any other hand that makes sense. Maybe you just had to be there. But this isn't someone that's going to throw around a lot of money with pocket 3's or some nonsense and it just seemed like he was in a dream scenario where we were betting his hand for him. Good player's only possible flaw is he might take tons of heat on 3rd with something like 678 suited or something. If that's the case, he's now open, but that seems unlikely. Anyway, on 5th street, the boards are:

Loose (x,x) A 7 J

Me (A,Q) A 3 10

Solid (x,x) 8 5 9

Loose player now bets again. What's your play and line for 6th.

A) Fold and watch sixth street on the sidelines as you cry into your Corona
B) Call, expecting to get raised and pay off like a slot machine b/c the pot is enormous
C) Call and fold to a raise by solid
D) Raise to put max pressure on solid in case you misread his hand since the pot is so big...if he coldcalls, bet 6th and fold to a raise
-If solid reraises, fold
-Another option if solid coldcalls is to check-fold sixth, but that's hard.

Anyway, interesting hand, results later and I want all comments inc. flaming how I played the hand b/c I'm not sure I'm happy with it.

Jeff