Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Pocket 9s Flops as an Overpair with OESD - Facing Serious Action

Party Poker (6 max, 5 handed) converter

6-Max Party $100NL .50/1.00

Hero: $334.28
Villain: $93

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Villain in CO raises to $4, button folds, Hero calls, BB folds - heads up pot.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Pot is about $9, Hero bets $8, Villain raises to $25.

Firstly, is cold-calling out of position with 99 the right move preflop? Thoughts on reraising? No real reads as of yet, Villain seems fairly aggressive and capable of open raising medium pairs, KJo, etc.

Secondly, and more importantly, thoughts on coming over the top on this one? Seems like I'm about a 1.6:1 dog to an overpair or set, and about a 4:1 favorite against two big cards. It seems like there's alot more combinations of overcards than pairs, but it generally seems less likely to me that unpaired overs would raise me on the flop like that, even if Villain is somewhat LAGgy.

I guess I need some advice as to what factors I should be thinking about here to make the decision, and how other people would go about putting Villain on big pair/set vs overs - and in your experience how often you see people make that play with say AKo at these stakes.

Seems like the only options out of position here are to fold or push, is this "correct"? If I was checkraised in position against a LAG in a similar spot would a call be a reasonable play?

I know there's alot of questions here, so any and all input is appreciated.