Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2003, 12:06 AM

Default To raise or not to raise... That is the question

$200 buyin 1/2 PLO internet game. I have been playing for just over an hour and have $340. Nine handed at present.

Early positions fold, MP makes it $7($295 stack). I call in the cutoff with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Small blind calls ($420 stack), all else fold.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Small blind bets the pot $23. MP takes an age then folds, probably having folded AA.

Now I have a big wrap, nut flush draw, and 2nd nut backdoor flush draw. I am pretty certain that the bettor has a good hand, at least QJ but more likely QQ. He seems to be a tight player over the last hour (first time I've played with him) and he probably has reasonable side cards that either have him (J) or me partially blocked (AKT9 or clubs).

Of note i have seen him call down 2 players with a set when a player has obviously made a straight or flush to outdraw him on 4th (which i feel is his biggest weakness i've seen).

Anyway, the question is should i raise here? If i do and he does have QQ he will undoubtably reraise and we will get allin on the flop. If he doesn't have QQ he may fold. If he is drawing I have him killed (although he can still hit a rag pair and win if we both miss).

Who raises here and who takes a card off? I chose to call, then call the turn unless i hit (note anything i hit is the nuts except a pairing club).