Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Quitting Your Job Articles

[ QUOTE ]
I think an overlooked point is that almost any professional poker player would be making more money at another type of job. The discipline and fortitude required to be a pro are tremendous and better compensated in other lines of work. So many choose the life because they don't want to work for anybody else, but soon discover playing poker for a living is a lot of work and comes with its own sacrifices.

http://thispokerlife.blogspot.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. While this is a possibility, many of the characteristics that make one a success playing for a living have less use than other characteristics when it comes to climbing the corporate ladder.

I don't have to kiss ass and politic to make good money playing cards. I also don't have to be concerned with the approval of others, and this is very good for me. While I am good at playing poker for a living, I doubt I'd be good at sucking up to someone I felt knew less than I did in order to get a raise or a promotion.

Furthermore, the idea that one can get some great job right out of college is pretty much a lie. I know a couple of Ivy League graduates with terrific connections who still make less than myself and probably a decent percentage of the pros on this forum. These guys are essentially the cream of the job-pool crop.

I on the other hand, have a degree in humanities from a state university, which makes me fairly knowledgable about some interesting things, but makes my earning potential in the 9-5 world pretty low. The idea that success in a pursuit like professional poker would translate to greater success in the straight world is not really valid. Sure it could, but I think that just as often one would have a less successful life choosing the 9-5 job road.