Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Can\'t win a hand, feeling helpless

I play .5/1 6-max on Pokerstars and I'm on a downswing. It seems as if I simply can't win a hand - I'm not getting many playable hands, and when I do I raise PF only to completely miss the flop or run into someone else's monster. When I limp with a marginal hand it's raised behind me, when I raise with a good hand it's reraised behind me. If I flop a monster everyone folds and I pick up a tiny pot. I've had several amazing situations with straights or full houses where someone has the same hand as I do and we chop a huge pot. I just can't run over the tables and win big pots over and over like I used to.

I know it's variance, I know every hand is independent of the next, but the current swing I'm on makes me feel helpless. I know I can beat these games as I have been handily winning for the past few months. I love playing poker but when you're losing all the time with your premium hands then it's tough to see how you can continue winning at it. I play an aggressive style and push my holdings to the max but it seems that's backfiring on me. I don't know whether I should take a break and study more, try to play through it, drop down to a lower limit, or cash out and leave poker behind.

I grinded out my bankroll playing nanolimits on up and I'm proud of my accomplishments. Before I hit this downswing I was getting ready to move to 1/2 because my bankroll was big enough. Now I have to make that money back and I know I'll be playing .5/1 for a while.

I don't have problems with tilt - I get angry after suckouts but then calm myself down and remember how I've sucked out on people the same way before. I play the same way as I always have but I can't win like before and I don't know what to do.