Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Confronting a Bulimic Acquaintance

(yes a serious topic in OOT)

So I have this acquaintance who's bulimic and I'm trying to decide whether there would be any value in confronting her. She's smart, college educated (and graduated in 3 years) and knows she has it or knows that what she is doing is bulimia, but doesn't stop.

I have some experience with this disease and anorexia as someone in the gymnastics community for most of my life as an athlete and coach. I know it's a serious disease and that left untreated it's very likely to kill. I don't talk to her often, and my source of information is her livejournal where she talks very candidly in locked posts about her eating habits. She also posts pictures and compared to the last time I saw her she looks a lot skiinier; to the point of being unhealthy. These are all reasons to speak up.

There are some problems though.

First and foremost, I don't know her that well. She's a friend of my girlfriends from her old job and they aren't even super close. I've met her, partied with her, talked to her in person only about 6 times, and on aim maybe 50? It would be awkward if I were to run into her at a bar or something, but there are many many people who know her better. It certainly wouldn't be appropriate for me to just call and make plans to hang out or something.

Second, I don't know what, if anything, her other friends have said. It may be that she's already been confronted by people she's much closer with. I have no specific knowledge of anything confronting her about her disease.

Third, I'm not sure what good would come from a confrontation. I don't know that there would be a positive result.

Finally, I don't have a good way to contact her. It would have to be through email. She's at a youth volunteer thing, like the peace corp. I don't know her phone number and we don't live in the same city.

I'm torn. On one hand I know what this disease can do, I like her, and i don't want to sit idly by and watch it progress in anyone I know. On the other we aren't that close, I'm not sure that I wouldn't be telling her things she's already heard or that I'd even be able to help her in the slightest, and I don't have a particularly good way of contacting her.

So, OOT, should I confront her as soon as possible, wait for a time I can talk to her face to face, or wait and see if she gets treatment either at the beheast of closer friends or for some other reason? Or should I just let her live her life the she wants and why?