Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Our 1st \"renting a hall\" size tournament. Input greatly appreciated

(As I wrote this, it became much larger than I expected, so if you could even skip around, we would appreciate it)

We have had home tournements with up to 32 people, but this fall we are renting a nice hall and plan to have 50 or so people there.

I'm asking this now as I would rather find potential problems or better ideas now rather than that night, so any input, concerns, ideas..etc that you have will be greatly appreciated.

First, we are starting at 6:00 on a Saturday and I hope to have it end around 12ish. We will have anywhere from 40 to 70 people. (We have 6 and maybe 7 poker tables and may need to make another one or two). As the event approaches, we'll have a better idea on the body count. Anyway, we have about 3,000 of the 11.5g dice chips.

Our diabolical plan: Buy-in will be either $30 or $40. Each person will receive $409 in chips:

24 White $1
16 Blue $5
8 Red $10
3 Black $25
3 Green $50
(we have Purple for $100 and Yellow for $500)

54 total actual chips to start.

Blinds will be in 20 minute increments:
2/4
4/8
5/10
10/20
15/30
25/50
50/100
75/150
100/200
200/400
250/500
300/600
400/800
500/1000
...and will keep raising although I can't imagine it going much further.

With this set up, can you foresee any problems? Too slow? Too fast?

If we get 50 or so people, we plan to reseat to 4 tables once we get to 32 people, then again at 3 tables/24 people, 2 tables at 16, and finally to the final table with 8 people. Each of these, of course, will add some time, perhaps 15 minutes.

We also have ordered these "neat" looking skull chips for a side game. Each person will get one, and if they take out a person, they get that person's chip. After each person is removed, they get their name in a drawing for $50 for each of these "kill" chips that they have.

We will also, more than likely, have another side thing, optional $5, for a high hand of the night in which the best hand takes the entire side pot.

We are also making these color/wooden things for drawing for your initial seat.

This is a nice hall and we seem to have decent poker stuff, even the colored cut cards, pewter dealer buttons (from ebay), so I would hate to go through all of this planning and spending, to have something go wrong.

If you have any ideas or input whatsoever, kindly post it. And, if you have read this entire post, I probably owe you a Coke or a Beer.

Thank you