Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Playing naked nut low draws

I'm only currently playing limit O8 until I get enough hands under my belt to feel like I can go at pot limit with a decent understanding of the game.

So far, the biggest conundrum I've come up against is playing naked A2 nut low draws post flop. I draw a distinction with A3 or 23 nut low draws, because the chances are much less that you're going to get quartered, and also I've seen a lot of people chase a fourth low card with a counterfeited A2, not realising that if they don't hit the wheel their low will lose anyway.

I subscribe to the theory that if you have a strong draw (15 outs or more) to lead with it, and try to get money in the pot from those who are chasing weaker or more unlikely draws. However, with a naked A2 (ie no foreseeable chance of scooping high), I've recently started to notice that when my draw hits and I win half, I don't make that much profit, when I miss I lose quite a bit, and I get quartered too often for comfort.

So my question is: would you lead with a naked A2 draw, or check/call? Would you fold to a bet and a raise in front of you?

Cheers