Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Tackle This One

This is from the test for exceptional intelligence here: Link

I've done a few of the other questions on this difficult test and am pretty confident of my answers. They take quite a bit of time, for me anyway, and most seem to be at least within the realm of possibility of being solved. This one has been driving me nuts. I like this kind of puzzle, I've been looking at it at work a bit, but I see no way to tackle this except through some kind of mass time-destroying elimination/substitution strategy. I'm not looking for an answer, rather I'm hoping someone has an idea of how to tackle this one that I haven't seen.

------------------------

Each letter has an associated numerical value attached to it, and the total of all the letters equals the physicist's total value. For example, if the letters G, L, A, S, E, and R had the values 12, 7, 9, 14, 21, and 5, respectively, American physicist Glaser would have a numerical value of 68.

Your objective is to figure out what the last physicist--Feynman--should be valued.

That's the whole thing. It doesn't even say if the same number can be assigned more than once but I've been going on the assumption that each one would be different. There are a couple of things that will pop out at you if you look at it for a while but it gets mind-crushing after that.