Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Am I going to hell?
No, you're right, retards ARE funny 35 33.02%
You're on the Hell express 71 66.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: A further poll about prejudice and discrimination

There is a great episode of the original BBC series 'The office' (which was way better than this new American version btw) that reminds me of this conversation with you.

A training day is held at the office and all the staff are gathered together. In one of the training sessions, pairs of two a asked to solve a hypothetical. In the hypothetical, a farmer must get a fox a chicken and a bag of grain across a river in a boat but can only take one at a time, and cannot leave the fox with the chicken, or the chicken with the bag of grain at any time.

One funny character, Gareth, cannot see the question for what it is and keeps asking silly questions like "why does the farmer need a fox? Farmers hate foxes!" or "why doesn't he put the bag of grain up high when he leaves it with the chicken?", "how come he has such a small boat? I've never heard of a boat that small!".

You know what I am asking here, and you know that if I had to, I could concoct some weird circumstance in which you'd need to either make this decision, or at least structure a similar decision. The stupid details are not important unless you think that all similarly structured problems somehow suffer from the same kinds of loopholes in the question.

Regards
Brad S