Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Level 3 and finish distribution.

I've been worried about my finish distribution (previous post) lately, so I've been studying to try and figure out how to get it better and improve my ROI in the process.

When I did that post I already had a something in mind: my suspicion was that I was playing the early levels too tight. After taking a look at my HHs, I found that level 3 is way more important than I thought in the 800 chip tournies.

With the blinds at 25/50, the average stack has 16BBs, which is usually the spot where players start playing really tight. There's still room for post-flop play, but not that much. This is the perfect spot to run a few bluffs and to play very agressively pre-flop, so that's what I did. Compared to how I use to play lvl3, I now look like a total maniac.

I've played ~100 tournies after changing my play, so it's too early to know for sure if this is really as effective as I think it is. FWIW, my finish distribution since I started to play like this is finnaly 1sts > 2nds > 3rds. Those extra chips end up being extremely valuable when you get to the bubble and then ITM.