Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2005, 09:07 AM

Default I am really struggling with my MTT game

Last night I am playing in this regular MTT tournament - no money involved - its for fun and practice - its organized in bars around the city - www.redhotpokertour.com.

I have been really struggling lately, after doing quite well for some time - I had been using a simple strategy that is considered to be quite sound. Then I decided to get serious about poker, but to focus on my limit game reading (And re-reading) SSHE - my limit game has improved immensely - however, since then, my tournament game has gone into the toilet. I also have been reading HOH1 - Ironically, I have played a few SNG - both full and shorthanded - and done fairly well.

Stacks start at 4000 and I am currently at about 3200. Blinds are 50-100. Two seats to my right (UTG+1) is a super-aggressive player (know him from other games and he has entered about 80% of the pots so far) - he has shown down with hands like Q9 and J4 (where he raised preflop), so I know he is capable of going in on almost anything. However, he has managed to put together a good stack, mostly by bullying the table - he has about 11000.

UTG calls, he raises to 300, fold around to me. I have AKo. I raise to 1000. He goes all-in.

My thought process at this point

1 - sitting on the big stack, he knows that if he loses to me, he will still be in good shape, so its a chance for him to try and continue to assert his dominance at the table

2 - he has shown an ability to go in on almost anything

3 - I know that he likes to be the aggressor - he likes to lead out the betting and control the table

4 - he is sitting to my left, so if I fold at this point, left with 2200 chips, I am likely going to have to struggle against him for some time - probably gonna have to wait for a huge hand and a huge pot to survive

I consider all these factors and determine that there is a good chance that he is trying to steal the pot - and that while I accept that he probably has a decent hand, I do not put him on a monster.

I call - which I realize was probably not a good move.

He shows KK and wins the pot, knocking me out of the tournament.

And so here is the point, as far as I am concerned. I feel quite confident that earlier in my tournament life, I would not have called his bet. I would have realized that this was not the hand on which I would want to risk all my chips - the only hands I could be hoping for, realistically, are A and a smaller kicker - I figured there was a good chance he had that - or a smaller pair, in which case, I am in a race situation.

My feeling is that I am overthinking the situations. As a relative noob who has just started reading and taking the game more seriously, I am overrun with information that I feel I need to consider - and this has affected my game. Also, I think that my bad run has resulted in a loss of confidence.

I don't know what I expect in terms of feedback - I guess I really just want to vent - I know that I am better than I have been playing - and I know I am better than how I played this hand.