Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: how badly did I play this 1/2 NL live cash game hand ? thanks guys!

In my first live game, I played rather tightly. When I first raised, the player to my right exclaimed, "Oh my, the quiet guy in the corner raised!" Several people still called, including one with A4 who flopped TPNK and called my push when I rivered a set. Later, I decided to take advantage of my tight image and raised in early position with KJ. Someone called with AJ and another guy reraised me with QTs.

Even if you have been playing tightly, and even if other people have noticed, don't assume they are making good adjustments to your play. Don't assume the reraise was KK or AA.

On the flop, you are far behind the nut flush or AA with the ace of clubs, which would have no need to push. You have 11 outs against red AA, and win 42%, or $195 back from the $463 pot for your $200 call. If he has red kings, he won't like the flop, but might push, and you have a freeroll giving you $315. If he has black queens, he'll like that flop and might push, but you will get back $432, for a gain of $232. You have to be very certain you are behind AA and calling is wrong by $5 to make up for the times calling is right by $115 or $232. You can't be, so this is an easy call.