Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Beating the LAGs...

Last night I did a first as I reviewed some PT numbers on recent play. Rather than looking at hands that leaked, I looked at who I was losing money to. I sorted by largest losses and almost without exception it was the dice symbol an a couple of tasmanian devils. Basically, the LAGs. I completely squish the passive players.

This wasn't entirely unexpected, but it did make me stop and think that I'm approaching leaks the wrong way. My biggest leaks at this point aren't what hands I play, but how I'm playing them against different competition. Yea, Captain Obvious was a little late in getting to me apparently.

However, I'm not entirely sure what to do against LAGs. Should I more quickly enter call down mode? Do I push marginal hands harder? How much does this change with passives also in the hand? Should I be trying to use LAGs to 2-bet for me?

Against passives the general philosphy seems to be to value bet/raise. Against LAGs I'm not sure what approach to take to win the most/lose the least on any given hand. They're killing me on things like scary boards where I fold TPTK facing 2 bets cold on the turn, only to see them show mid pockets.

I'll start posting specific hands as well, but if anyone has some general concepts on dealing with LAGs, that'd help focus my thinking as I go into hands.