Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Good post

Balls to the wall, vultures.

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with your challenge is that racism isn't the in-your-face, easily noticeable entity that it was a long time ago. It is a much subtler, almost conspiratorial type of entity.
<font color="white"> .</font>
That said, I spent most my time growing up in the South. Racism is alive and well. It has become more "sophisticated" if you will, with modern day bigots making claims like they are only prejudiced against certain kinds of black people and other such nonsense.
As for personal observation, I'll throw in two of my more vivid recollections. The first was a week of numerous outbreaks of violence on campus between the blacks and the good ol' boys at my school, brought about by several attacks on some black kids in our school coupled with a surge in advertising and vocal support for the KKK.
<font color="white"> . </font>
The second was my being attacked by a group of about 8 good ol' boys which resulted in a broken blood vessel in my eye the day before I had to visit the optometrist for the eye examination which was part of my physical examination for entrnace in the Naval Academy. If I had been hit a little harder or been a little less adept at defending myself or any of a host of "might-haves", I might have not been able to realize the dream that I had held for most of my young life. The reason I was attacked was for having the termerity to drive my basketball teamates (myself and one other member of the team were white) home from practice and then compounding my "mistake" by mouthing off to one of the good ol' boys who didnt like this practice of mine.
<font color="white"> . </font>
Since then I have encountered other instances of racism, though none quite so direct as those, but more of subtle attitudes observed, etc.
I personally don't think Affirmative Action is a great thing at this time. But it sure as hell isn't because I think racism is dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Balls to the wall.