Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Crash course in tournament Omaha

So, this morning, I was using some of my FPP to play in a sattelite to the WCOOP #2, $215 PL Omaha. Usually, when I win a sattelite to one of these big tournaments, I withdraw and take the tournament dollars and use them to play in a bunch of smaller tourneys since the stakes are too big for me.

However, when I got lucky enough to win my seat onto this one, I saw that when I withdrew I got $W instead of $T which can only be used in poker stars special event tournaments. So, I have to basically play in one these WCOOP tournaments.

The problem lies in the fact that I've just not had a lot of experience in Omaha against players who know what they're doing.

Some questions...

1) What types of hands should I join multi-way limped in pots with and what types of hands should I avoid in limped in multi-way pots. Additionally, what types of hands should I be raising a bunch of limpers in position with?

2) What types of hands should I be stealing with when folded to me in the cutoff or button and will blinds defend more or less than in hold 'em?

3)Most hands in Omaha from what I've seen are no worse than 60-40 against another hand preflop, so if I get caught stealing and get moved in on or nearly all in, but am getting better than 1.5 to 1 (which i will almost always be getting in an all in situation), should I call with most all my hands? This is assuming I didn't attempt a steal with a 3 of a kind or 4 of a kind type hand.

I know the basics...Omaha is a game about trying to make the nuts or a very strong draw on the flop. So, basically, my strategy is going to be to be cautious when I could have a second best hand and charge the most when I hold the nuts. Also, I'm going to try to steal a lot of blinds and gamble on draws since I'm not going to be outplaying anyone.

What else should I keep in mind while playing? I'm basically free-rollin with FPP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]