Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2005, 07:03 PM

Default get over it already

[ QUOTE ]

The point is, able bodied people who stayed behind created their own problem, as well as problems for others by adding to the number of people who now need help.

The people living BELOW sea level should not have stayed there. How difficult is that concept to comprehend [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, hurricanes change direction. The predictions are not perfect. Thus, it's a gamble if you stay AND a gamble if you leave. These were people who have had experiences evacuating for nothing when the threrat dosn't materialilze. Or evacuating into the direction of the threat instead of away from it because the storm changed direction.
Also, these are people who are used to some flooding and some power outages. They know how to get through a few days without power - if they stay home with food and water.

Let me ask you, have you ever been evacuated? I have. And it's [censored] scary. When it happens, you just hope you're doing the right thing because it really does seem to happen so quickly that you can't think much about it and you just do it or don't do it and it's too late. If you have kids or pets or anything valuable, it makes evacuating even harder. It's extremely stressful.

During stressful times, some people make poor decisions. I believe there is a poker term for that - tilt?
These people simply made a poor decision. They shouldn't be further punished for that decision. They've had enough.

Moreover, yes, they had 2 days notice. But not everyone has a television or radio. Not everyone is informed about what's going on around them. When I was evacuated (from a fire) luckily the area they evacuated was small so the police could go door to door and tell people to leave. NOLA couldn't do that. A two-day warning might well have ammounted to a few hour warning for some people.

And about all this talk of busses - they circulated city busses to take people to the Superdome before the hurricane hit.