Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Anouther quest/log type post

I am mainly, well almost exclusively, a semi-pro limit player. And like everyone else I started small, online and have been able to work my way up to the point that for the last few months I have been playing 50-100 to 150-300 online and live. However, about 3 weeks ago, like many of the other mid-high limit HE posters I hit a vicious down swing, losing about 53K. Since then, playing a bit smaller, but also many of the same games I had won back about ½ of that. However, after this last week losing about 15k, not that much but never the less, I realized that even if I am currently good enough to beat the games, my game and skills are stagnating. I am not playing as well as I should and can, I have gotten lazy, it is the same old story all over again. I still play but I don’t study of learn. So, obviously I need to remedy this, and to that end I am going to switch form Limit HE to NLHE.
My idea is to post a journal; similar to the one bruiser posted, but more frequently, every Wednesday night or Thursday morning, when my week ends. I do have a bit of NL experience so I am not going to start at the lowest limit but I will start at 3-6NL. Honestly, even that hurts the ego, even more so posting this.
So, here are my goals,
A) post a lot of hands, like at least a couple a day.
B) Play 1000 hands a day playing 3 tables to start, 4 after I get the hang of it.
C) Make it to 25-50 NL by Jan 1.
I’ll start with 12,000 I have plenty more, obviously, but I want to move up based on my winning in NLHE, rather than the BR I have built playing limit. So, I am not totally sure how nl win rates work but my impression is that a good wr is about 10-15 Big Blinds per 100. Is that correct? Working under that assumption, my plan is to play 3-6 NL for about 1 month or 30K hands. At 10 BB per hundred that is 600 a day or about 18K for the month. If I make 18K before the end of the month I will move up, if it takes longer it takes longer.
So, when I get to 30K, about Oct 1., I will move to 5-10 NL which I will play till I get to 60K, at which point I will move to 10-20NL. Hopefully, that will take about a month or till Nov. 1. I figure that a 125K br should be enough at 25-50 NL. So, I will have about 2 months to make 65K. At 10-20, in 1000 hands per day, you only need a win rate of just over 5BB/100 to make that, so that should not be too hard, hopefully.
So that is my plan. Does it sound ok, any glaring flaws?
O, also an aside, I think that with some exceptions, NL HE is becoming the biggest game, the highest limits, online and live, which is just one more reason to learn it.
Dave