Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: NL Cash Games

[ QUOTE ]

Can you expand on this a bit? I feel I am close to an epiphany in understanding this, but not quite [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Like the OP, I've always stayed away from Limit because I couldn't manipulate the pot odds and make it wrong for my opponent to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of it the other way, a bit. If you are playing hands in good position with good equity, you don't want to discourage calls - you want to encourage them. Whenever someone calls a bet or bets into when you have an equity edge, you win. That's betting for value, and it's very important in limit poker.

Yes, it's very hard to give your opponents bad pot odds (especially in the loose games we see generally), so you have to try to get them at an equity disadvantage instead.

[ QUOTE ]

To a newbie like me, on the surface, limit seems like a game that's easy to get drawn-out on. Is limit that cut & dry, in that, if I don't have better pot-odds than odds of making my hand, I should fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not all about pot odds in limit poker. Remember implied odds. While implied odds are important in NL, they are also important in limit and need to be accounted for when deciding to play on in a hand.

Did that answer the question?

Regards,

T