Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Its important to have a killer instinct

Today, I was multitabling 3/6 shorthanded on UB and doing very well. One of the players said he had a note on me from before saying that I play g00t. Strangely enough, he chose to sit to my right, but thats besides the point. Thats now 2 sessions in a row where I get a compliment from another player. I usually have the chat off, so maybe people compliment me more often than that.

Because I almost always have the chat off, I'm not used to this sort of thing. My initial reaction was to feel flattered. However, this started to effect my play. I was feeling self-conscious and didn't want to play hard against the guy that complimented me.

I got over it a little, and ended up having a good session, and taking a lot of pots off the guy that complimented me, but it makes me wonder if I should just go back to leaving the chat off. This is just one of many things that can cause me to lose my killer instinct. When I'm playing in the zone, I focus on destroying my opponents. Maybe its better I just go back to having the chat off.

So, my question is:
How do you guys deal with getting complimented? Do you try to coffeehouse the guy and feel out/influence his play? Do you ignore it?