Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Do I have issues?

[ QUOTE ]
I think the better question is:
Where would I be if I realized my goals but ran away from all those close to me to get there?

[/ QUOTE ]

This brings up kind of an interesting point. I know goal setting is a necessary part of life, and is key in acclerating personal growth. Goals work by creating a disconnect between the present state and the future desired state when that goal is accomplished. This disconnect creates a healthy tension which drives your actions and efforts toward making these two pictures match up (i.e. accomplishing the goal).

Anyway, let's say I set goals that are healthy for my life and situation. However, when I'm striving for my goals and don't achieve them, I get frustrated. So the whole process of accomplishing the goal is one of frustration. I see where I want to be, and if I'm not there, even though I'm doing everything I need to be doing to get there, it bothers me.

For example, I have a "B" rating in beach volleyball. The next higher rating is an "A", so naturally that's my next goal. However, if I don't see myself improving or get my butt kicked everytime I enter an "A" tournament, I get frustrated and pissy. So until I accomplish this goal, I'm very restless (and not really in a healthy way that stimulates personal growth).

Any thoughts on how to handle this and treat goals as a healthy part of my life?