Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2005, 05:19 PM

Default SSHE... Here\'s the deal (Long Post)

This post is long, I am looking for constructive feedback [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

About 2 years ago I purchased Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones after getting sick of emptying my entire bankroll into the hands of other players at the table. I have probably read through that book about 15 times and I started to memorize what sentence was after the one I was reading. I was very successfull playing the WLLH "tight passive" type of poker and was satisfied with my win rate at the local 3/6 tables.

(By tight passive I mean not as aggressive as sshe advocates. WLLH 3e is notably more aggressive than the 2nd edition and I have noticed alot more aggressive play due to the revisions made with draws/ Big but middle pairs)

Fast forward to about 1 month ago. I began reading small stakes hold'em and was pretty excited about implementing this aggressive style into my game. I have read through the book 2 times now, and besides the quiz answers I have memorized, I get about 80% of the answers right in the back of the book. But here is the deal...

When i get to the table I seem to go ass-retarded. I know the concepts and I think i understand them for the most part, it's just that I have a major hard time implementing them in the correct situation.

Is this due to the (seems like) millions of hours of reading and playing a weak-tight game?

To make a long story short, every time I have tried to implement SSHE concepts I fail miserably and go home broke. My questions...

1. At what point did you "get" the play style of SSHE and actually turn a profit from its concepts? Did you also start out playing a weak-tight game?

2. Were the concepts at first difficult for you to grasp or did it come naturally?

3. Is it at all reasonable to play a WLLH style game and continue to win at small (3/6) or medium stakes (6/12, 10/20) ? I know books like Middle Limit Holdem teach a weak-tight style and are held in pretty good regards.