Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2005, 08:06 PM

Default ? about a hand in Texas hold\'em involving a flush

The other night I was playing in a small poker game in which a debate occurred involving a flush hand. The game was Texas Hold'em and the situation was as follows:

{ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]=Hearts, C=Clubs, S=Spades, D=Diamonds)

Community Cards: Ace[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 (S) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 (C)

Player one: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Player two: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Both players have an Ace high flush. My question is: Does player one win the pot because he has the next highest heart with the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or is it a split pot because they both have an Ace High Flush?

I have always thought that the best five cards win the hand. It seems that when I play online that the player with the next highest card in the flush wins the hand. However no one could confirm my answer to this situation. If anyone knows the answer to this situation please let me know.

Is there a texas hold'em or poker rulebook that would have some type of "official" answer to this type of situation? Any type of documented answer would be very helpful.

Thanks for any input that you guys can offer.