Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Phil Hellmuth -- Genius or completely oblivious ?

I'm a fan of Phil Hellmuth first of all. I've been thinking about Phil's win in the NBC Heads-up Championship. Lets remember that Phil Hellmuth has been playing since like 1990 or something. A long time. Nothing a poker player does should shock him, then yet he always seems absolutely amazed at the hands that his opponents hold. He seemed stunned when Chris Ferguson put all his money in with top two pair 92. Ok, so lets discuss that one hand where he was up against Chris Ferguson in the 3rd round. Score is 1 to 1. Both have taken a round. Phil has TT and he hits a set on a board that looks like this:

X A K T J .

4 to a straight on the board. Not sure who was first to act but Chris bets $30,000 . Phil seems to have a huge problem and ends up laying it down. Commentators are shocked and I'm shocked. Today, it popped into my mind again. This was the first hand of Round 3. Do you think Phil was setting Chris up ? Pot wasn't that big and this hand was not going to be a deciding hand in who won so Phil folds and shows it making it seem like he can be run over. So he gets run over a little bit and then catches Chris bluffing. I believe he got all his money in with A4 vs ?? . He was 60/40 and then he mounts his comeback but I don't think Phil was down by much at that point anyway. Do you think Phil was being clever or was he that unbelievably weak tight ?