Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 AM

Default My Point About Quadrillions of Stars

Every once in a while someone makes reference to a point that I and others make about why God would bother creating all those stars along with quasars, black holes. etc, most of which are so far away from us that we can't see them or be affected by them.

I just wanted to make sure that people understand that this point does little to make the existence of God less likely and I have never said otherwise. It only makes it less likely that God created the universe specifically for one species, during one tiny sliver of time during the universe's existence, on one specific planet, in one specific solar system, of one specific star in one specific galaxy.

It seems to me that most religions have made [censored] sapiens living on the third planet out of nine, of a very average star, in an average galaxy, during a two million year period, 14 billion years after the big bang, the main focus of God's attention. And if they don't, I think most have backed off of this stance very recently. In any case I don't use this argument to refute any religion that admits that God may be just as interested in aliens, self aware possibly man made, computers, a freakishly intelligent chimpanzee, and who knows what else, as he is with this one species.