Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Advanced play or nonsens?

Regarding the discussion of advanced plays, BluffThis! wrote in another thread:

[ QUOTE ]

The reason this most likely wouldn't work on a short stack on the higher limit tables is that everyone there including them are more aggressive, which includes betting and checkraising even with very weak draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding betting and raising with weak draws, I've recently seen some plays on the 2k tables that just baffels me, and I was wondering about them. Anyone care to take a stab at it? I'll give an example from the Stars 2k game.

Players are Darwinism and Spräg....spr...a guy from Helsinki.

Preflop: D in EP raises, three to the flop. Pot is 240.
Flop: J96, two spades.
D fires 200 into the pot, other guy folds.
S (virtual button) raises the max, D sets them both all in. S calls.
Turn/River: Turn T, river a 5 that completes the flush.
Showdown: D has JJQT (no spades), S holds the magnificent hand of 234T and reraised on a T-high flushdraw, and wins with the flush.

Now, I might understand the possible steal attempt (reraise), and the trap by underbetting the pot. But I've seen tons of plays like this when I railbird the 2k tables, and I really don't understand WHY they might be +EV in the long run. It just seems like gambling to me. Is there some sort of metagame going on here (putting the other player on tilt, trying to get a big stack so you can push the other players around)?

These plays go against every book I've read. They are the most interesting ones for me (reraises with a weak flushdraw, bottom two, openended str8 draw on a twoflush board), and I don't understand them at all.