Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2005, 11:48 AM

Default A quick tip on how to handle a downswing

For those of you who have read some of my other posts, you'll probably know already that I take pride in my formidable mental health poker toolbox.

Here's my newest addition:

This week, I was getting raped in shorthanded limit holdem. I'm down ~100BB. At my lowest, I was down 175BB or so.
Don't worry though. I'm not in danger of going broke.
Anyway, instead of ignoring the losses or trying to get even, I set an intermediate goal: winning some of it back.

That way, I am able to acknowledge my losses. Instead of smothering the negative energy, I deal with it directly. Trying to smother the negative energy that you feel when you lose is like trying to put out a fire with a lot of gasoline. Often it works for a small fire, but when it doesn't work, you will get killed.

The opposite approach is to let your negative emotions have free reign. This leads to playing too many hands, and overplaying your fair hands. Instead of frantically feeling that you have to get even, it is better to set a goal that is both achievable, and consistent with good play.

I actually read about this in Barry Greenstein's book, Ace on the River which is excellent. Anyway, I hope that all you limit players presently keep this, or other similarly helpful tricks in your toolbox.

Best wishes,
Snowball