Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Playing the blinds for a profit

I've been focusing on this concept for a few days now (ever since Irie's "Unarmed" post). It's a small trail of breadcrumbs and I'm hoping to get some more specific discussion on the topic.

As a starting point I am going to use Yugo's response from this thread :

[ QUOTE ]
Blind play is possibly the most important part of STT play. It is possible to play from the SB/BB for a profit in this (STT) format of poker (which is not really possible in any other) and if one can do that, it's pretty much impossible to be a losing player.

Once the blinds become significant, you have to forfeit a significant portion of your stack every time you involuntarily post them. Being able to defend them optimally is very hard but of the utmost importance and, of course, is very contextual. Thankfully, there is a big bag of tricks one can use to help in this task. Unfortunately they involve reading the table well and being able to play 'real' poker, . In the higher buyin levels great blind play is pretty much imperative to be a significantly winning player.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we saying that both blinds can individually be played for profit, or as a whole (because of steals from SB)? And this is because???

As for the "bag of tricks", are these what we're talking about, and what's missing from mine (aside from context and proper timing)?

1) Re-stealing a button/late-pos raise
2) Stop'n'Go
3) PVS
4) Stealing vs SB limper (pre & postflop)

That's pretty much my bag from the BB (aside from maybe calling pushes which I'm doing either too little of or too much of).

I'll start posting some hands from the blinds to get feedback, but wanted to just get a general thread on the topic to make sure I'm on the right track.