Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Opportunity or Fool\'s Gold? (K2o)

Be forewarned that I’ve been thinking too much about Gigabet’s stack theory. I’m not saying this is or is not a” Gigabet Dilemma” or even that I understand his theory. However, it has caused me to be more conscious of the “playability” of my stack which is what caused me to think during this hand.

A hand from last night’s PP 34K NLH tourney, blinds are 75/150 but are going up after this hand to 100/200, so my stack is ~17BB

converter

UTG (t8265)
UTG+1 (t5055)
UTG+2 (t1600)
MP1 (t585)
MP2 (t525)
MP3 (t195)
CO (t6290)
Button (t2875)
Hero (t3340)
BB : (Villain) (t1457)

Preflop: Shorty is MP1
Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Villain is BB

<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Shorty calls t150, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>

I’ve only been at the table for a couple of orbits, but I have a fairly good read on the players in this hand, especially the short stacks. I didn’t make much of the UTG+1 limp, probably not a monster hand, but if he showed some speed I’d certainly have to re-assess.

Shorty is a player I’ve seen before, and I thought she was solid, but her short stack play here has been horrible. I was almost certain her limp here meant she didn’t have a pair or AK/AQ, but I figured her hand had some promise, Ax didn’t seem right, I put her on a middle suited connector, say 89s.

The interesting player here is Villain. He’s pretty aggressive and he’s steaming, three hands ago his stack was over 6K, but he suffered a couple of tough losses. I really expect a push from him here if his hand showed any promise. I was getting 7:1 odds to complete, but I figured I was just throwing away 75 chips most of the time, especially with UTG+1 still in the pot.

Hero completes, Villain Raises Allin [t1457], UTG+1 folds, Shorty calls

For some reason I didn’t expect UTG+1 to fold. Lots of chips in the pot, two people allin, and I can’t go bust on this hand since the bigstack kindly folded. I slow down to consider the situation, it goes something like this:

My hand is an ugly K2o, but there’s a very good chance neither of the other players are strong. Are my cards live? The 2 is probably live (oh joy!), but I don’t know about the K. If either of them hold a K, I’m really in trouble. It’s unlikely Shorty has a K given her limp preflop, with AK she pushes preflop, with KT-K2 she likely mucks, she might have limped with KQ or KJ but those might have been a push as well.

Pot odds are good at 1.8:1

If I fold my stack I 16BB
If I call and lose I have 9BB
If I call and win I have 27BB

Is the chance to get to 27BB worth the risk of going from 16BB to 9BB?

[Something I didn’t notice at the time was the relative stack sizes. The three big stacks are big enough that they play basically the same against me whether I have 9BB or 16BB but at 27BB my stack would be similar in size to theirs.]

Thoughts?

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">

Hero decides to wait for a better opportunity; the pot odds just aren’t big enough
Hero folds

Villain shows J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Shorty shows Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Board: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain and Shorty split, Hero’s stack dwindles over the next few rounds while waiting for that elusive “better opportunity” to arise. Hero eventually pushes with 77 and busts out ~425th (field of 2200, paying 220) </font>

Thoughts?