Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Re: educate a liberal

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you're an American.

If you are, you've had ample opportunity to pack up and live elsewhere should you feel oppressed - yet since you've stuck around, driven on the roads, let firemen put out your fires, let the military protect whatever business interests you have, etc. you've given your tacit consent. The state doesn't need your explicit consent to be legitimate. If you don't like it, the state (at least the US) isn't holding you back from finding greener pastures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the old "love it or leave it" arguement. I knew you were eventually going to bring this up. Recognizing that the current US government is oppressive in no way implies that there is somewhere else that is less oppressive. If there were, I would indeed move.

Do you completely agree 100% with everything the government does? If not, why don't you pack up and move? Put your money where your mouth is? Is it impossible in your worldview to have ideals, yet accept a reality which is less than perfect when compared to those ideals? Should one just give up rather than work to improve things? Your defeatist attitude, to be frank, sucks.