Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2005, 07:28 AM

Default PLO, Variance and Profitability vs Furthering NLHE Game

I apologize in advance if these are newbie questions and if i sound ignorant of this game, esp for the stakes im describing.

I've been playing in a 5/10 PLO game recently and have been riding quite a gigantic wave of variance. my first session in the game (the two PLO hands i posted were from that game) saw me losing 6K and the two subsequent sessions have had me winning a little over 4 each. I'm happy with the returns, but the variance is insane to a NLHE player (i know, we're coddled WRT variance vs limit and PLO) especially when i reviewed the big hands i played in each session VIA twodimes.

in session one, i put my money in with a massive pot equity edge (>90%) twice, put it in as a 65/35 dog twice, put it in 55/45 and 65/35 favorite 4 times and once i was drawing stone dead (the quads over FH hand).

I guess the question i have is this:

Are these typical overlays in this game? are you basically trying to maintain a 60% general overlay on your big hands and allowing the variance to iron itself out long term?

In general when im putting the money in at holdem, the overlay is much higher, but it happens many fewer times per session. if i worked out the EV of all my omaha vs holdem hands they'd likely be similar however the SD's, i'd guess, would not.

Sometimes i can't find 4 tables of NL, so i'd like to add this game to my repertoire. my bankroll is very sufficient for much higher stakes holdem, so i'd assume it can handle omaha, but if the risk/reward ratio is just so high, i'd rather concentrate on further developing my NLHE game.

so is it worth it? any comments from big bet holdem players cum PLOites and anyone else welcome.

fim