Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2005, 04:52 PM

Default So really what\'s the problem with playing alot of poker?

I honestly find poker to be one of my most productive hobbies i've ever had. People all have hobbies and if you're winning in poker as a hobby that's a good thing right? At my college, there were kids who sat around all day playing halo or madden for the same amount of time I play poker. I know because I used to do that for a while. There are kids who do nothing all day but just sit around shooting pool.. yeah i've done that too. On weekends going to frat parties is supposed to be fun right? No, i find it to get boring after a while. Millions of americans sit around watching tv all day and millions of teenagers/young adults spend plenty of time playing computer games like everquest, world of warcraft, counterstrike, and others. Most people have hobbies and things they are interested... what makes poker a bad hobby if you have self control and are winning? This post was inspired by reading people getting depressed about playing so much poker or feel ashamed. What the hell is there to be ashamed about? It's a game that you like to play alot and prosper at and it's less time consuming than something like everquest. In poker you can stop when you want, sit out to do stuff, play on your time, etc. Games like everquest or world of warcraft require more of a committment and you are actually penalized for not playing as much (your friends out level you, you miss out on raids and can't get gear, you lose experience, etc). I can honestly tell myself i'd rather play poker in my free time than sit around watching tv or playing a video game like most people my age do.