Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2005, 06:33 AM

Default A theoretical question on proper turn play

While this post has a hand as an example, it is the concepts and theories that are open to debate.

Blinds 75/150
Hand: KQo
Preflop: You open for 150 from MP, all fold to BB who cold calls.
Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He checks, you bet to 250 hoping to steal- he calls and you suspect he has a T but obviously there are other hands he could have. You also consider PPs of any size, 22-JJ or even a hand like 9Js or 79s.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks again. You have two choices
1.) Check here, knowing you will call any reasonable bet on the river. This will allow you to call for an amount you would have value bet on the turn without risk of being raised at any point in the hand.

2.) Bet here, folding to a check/raise but making him pay for any possible draw.

I like checking because it allows you to gain the same value you hope to obtain with a turn bet. A check on the turn will often induce a bluff which you call off, sometimes he’ll value bet a hand like 99/JJ here and you’ll still get that same value, and on the times when he has a T or 88 you got to see the hand down (and give yourself a chance for another K on the river).

I dislike checking because he may make a bet I can’t call on the river just because I showed weakness on the turn. Also, I am giving him a free card that could bust me if he has a PP that finds a set or a straight draw.

Obviously the more draws, the more likely you would be to bet and the fewer the draws the better I think it would be to check. However, on a hand like this I question the “correct play”.