Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2005, 09:11 AM

Default They\'re not calling my reraises...how do I play AA?

At 50 NL I typically (.25/50 blinds) raise to 2.50 with AA or any other raising hand. A lot of players raise to only 2.00, so I will usually reraise to six.

Until very recently this would usually get a call, and then I would often make more money on the flop.

I'm noticing that as play has tightened, a reraise preflop usually means AA or KK. Thus players are reluctant to call a reraise even with QQ (unless its a miniraise, which is pointless of course).

I've noticed a lot of players that smoothcall a reraise, or even just a raise from a tight player, and then they get the hapless tight player all in on the flop with KK or QQ, when said player would have folded to a preflop push.

This strategy seems to rely a lot on hand reading skills, but I'm guessing if you have AA and no K or Q comes on the flop, you're probably home (not many players are raising with Jacks were I play). That said, you did have a few players that raise with Jacks or Tens, and you get a few oddballs that will raise with any pocket. So I'm thinking this is a good strategy against players whom you have a good read on their raising requirements, but not against unknown players....thoughts?