Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Default tipping at the WSOP

ok - first off, I am not a troll - and both Photoc and Al Capone will probably vouch that I'm as generous as anyone at the poker table with tipping

but this article by Amy Calistri really caught me off guard - she catches a lot of the underground gossip that goes on (like WPT pro's who are broke) - here's what she had to write -

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of people on the internet whining about players who allegedly "didn’t" tip or "under-tipped" during the WSOP. I would like to whine about the people who are whining. First and foremost, the players are upchucking their own bucks to play. For the WSOP, Harrah's took between 6% and 10% out of the prize pools for house juice and tournament and dealer compensation. Approximately 90% of the players either lost money playing a WSOP event or barely scored more than minimum wage for their time and effort. After it was all said and done, dealers made between $30/hr to $40/hr for their time. I realize that the dealers and tournament staff worked hard and long hours. And I know they put up with a lot of [censored] and they earned every penny. But players incurred all the risk. Players incurred all the cost. You’re going to put them down for not laying out more money? Give me a break. And for the tournament staff and dealers that have been bitching and publicly outing "non-tippers," you're wrong and you're only hurting yourselves. What a player tips, considering that they are taking all the risk, footing their own prize pool, and already pay a mandatory tip, is their own friggin business.

If you stop whining, I will.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the past, my premise for tipping is that dealers are making mininum wage, (or in NYC - NO WAGE) - and therefore, tips supplement their income so the job is good -

but in this case - with that much money taken out already, and with the wages they're making....is it something I should feel bad about if I'm not inclined to dump 10 percent of my winnings into an additional fund - sheeeit. - $30-40 an hour is better then what I used to make till about a yr ago -

remember - I'm not a troll, and I'm not saying no tipping - far from it - (esp. for good dealers - a little less often for the incompetant ones) - but to read about that kind of toke and then people griping about not getting more....that is a bit rough, even for me...but then this is probably just a WSOP issue -

RB