Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Quad nightmare

Greetings,
This is my first post and I am very excited about joining. I have been coming here steadily increasing my intake for a few months and have found it full of intelligent people who generally are generous with advice and/or knowledge for the OP (and anyone else reading). I feel like I'm "figuring things out" about poker and have this forum and the 2+2 books to thank for accelerating my devlopment exponentially. I joined yesterday and and had nothing really to post..... until tonight/morning. Now time to vent..... there's a simple, but important lesson to learn and a couple of questions.

Here's the whining..... I had three boats beaten by quads tonight. That's right.... three different opponents.. two in omaha high and one in NLHE. I won't detail the omaha ones, but they were almost as bad..... almost. The Hold 'em hand had me UTG with AA. I minraised (this I think was my downfall). Couple people call and the BB calls. Flop 222. You know what happened obviously, but board finished up 2228A, with medium-large bets the whole way through ending with an all-in/call. He had 2 5 off. I'm guessing the raise was too small, but I was hoping for a raise to call, possibly reraise. How much should I have raised? I think maybe I just had to lose that money.... I do mix my game. I come away from that hand and figure I played it right except the raise preflop was too small. It's easy to say this after the hand.... what's the ratio of best plays for UTG with AA? Should you ever just call? I would've lost the same with that move. I only ended up down $5.15 after my quad nightmare, so I don't feel so bad, but it stings....oh does it sting.
One last question... does anyone have something similar happen to them in one session? All advice and recollections welcome.
Thank you