Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2005, 04:38 PM

Default How tight and how weak should I really be early on?

I been having some trouble making the jump from Limit to SNGs. Although I have quite a few leaks, I'm trying to tackle them in stages. And I think (correct me if I'm wrong) my biggest leak is dropping out before the bubble. I am positive in chips won at levels 1-3 but I have a LOT of finishes out of the money early. 7th 9%/8th 13%/9th 7%/10th 4%. That's 33% of the time I'm out before even hitting the bubble. Some of these are on level 5 or 6 but as you know from party 10+1 a lot of these are level 1-3. So does anyone have any additional pointers?? Here's some common situations and how I handle them.

AK preflop, Open raise 3x+2x per limper. Call small reraise, fold to all-ins or big reraises.

AQ preflop, raise to 3x cautious with a lot of limpers, fold if raised.

AJo usually fold unless LP then a small raise.
AJs usually raise if first in, sometimes call, fold to any serious action

KQo usually fold unless LP throw in a little raise.

KQs usually raise similar to AK but usually fold to any reraise.

Small Pockets 2-6 I usually fold early position limp MP or LP. 7-10 same thing but usually also limp in EP. JJ-AA I usually make a standard raise, probably call any raise unless against a solid opponent I might drop jacks.

Post flop I usually don't bet with nothing unless a strong draw (4 flush) or AK if there's a real chance of taking the pot on the spot. Otherwise I'm looking for TP with good kicker or better.

I get in trouble with board overpairs. TP with good kicker, and those kinda things. Hands where I Have AQs flop comes QJ7. I bet it gets raised and I go all in and am against a set or good draw.

I'm having a tough time cause i feel like this is a pretty good strategy but I'm obviously dropping out a lot early. And what I thought was running bad seems to have become the norm as I've played more and more games.

AQ preflop, Raise 3x fold