Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Simple 5/10 Limit Question

Hey guys.. I have a somewhat obvious question that I would like to have answered by as many people as possible.

A friend of mine believes that you can make and maintain at least 3 BB's ($30) per hour playing a long handed single table $5/$10 limit hold 'em game over the course of 24,000 hands (roughly 400 hours). The EV of this would be +.50 cents per hand for 24,000 hands! I would say there's no chance unless he gets a 400 hour luck streak... which I've never heard of before [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just because a player is gifted doesnt make him immune to getting sucked out just like the rest of us... so think about that. Also take into effect the rake. Now a player needs to beat the house on top of his $30 per hour wage.

And one other note: $5/$10 limit is not $2/$4 limit anymore. Many people playing $5/$10 are casual players who take the game somewhat seriously. They might have read a book or two and know what to do in many situations. They also have experience from previous limits like $2/$4 and $3/$6... The games at $5/$10 are also more agressive (from my experience) and a tad bit tighter than the games at $3/$6.

All these factors put together make it harder to make money... and to be making $30 per hour? Well, you decide.

I tried to tell him that it's probably impossible even if you are the best limit hold em player in the world... but he didn't believe me. So we made an actual money wager to see who is right and I chose to 2+2 forums to see what you guys thought about it.

So just reply with your honest opinion and I would greatly appreciate it ^_^.

Thanks...