Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: The Honesty and Bankroll Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't a better definition of bankroll "the amount of money that your are willing to lose before you give up poker for ever"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it is. Or at least 'for a while' even if you can wait until next month's paycheck or something and deposit again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can define it however you want for your own situation. For me, I don't make enough money at my job and from gigs for taking money out to play poker to be viable. My great-uncle passed away a little more than a year ago and I set aside some of the inheritance I received from him and defined that as my bankroll. If I ever lose that original stake, I'm done with poker (barring a change in my financial situation).

Thankfully, despite being somewhat clueless about poker when I started (and only slightly less clueless now in terms of where I'd like my game to be), I put aside enough and played low enough that risk of ruin was quite low (and is hopefully lower now as I've gotten better) despite the fact that, when I started, I'd never even played holdem.