Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: 1 Year Anniversary of Online Poker Career

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Going from a small company to being bought out by a large company, I can agree the corporate world does suck! I am taking the summer off and will find a job with a smaller company.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the corporate world does not suck. I have been with the same manufacturing company since graduating college (almost 12 years now), gone from working on the floor to a proffesional desk job. I get constantly challenged from different directions, and deal regularly with people all over the world.

Overall, it has had a positive effect on my life.

No where near as soul sucking as sitting in front of a computer playing poker all day - which I love doing.

There has to be a happier medium out there for you, and you should be able to find challenges is any job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you have you're perspective. I used to have that feeling as well. But in terms of soul sucking, nothing I ever do in the freedom of my own home will compare to the soul-sucking that I had to deal with working in the business world.

The turning point comes when you move high enough into management that you can actually see and understand what senior management is doing. Maybe my company was worse than average, but it really sucks when you're put in a position to have to continually lie to your employees. Better yet is when you get to sit next to a human resources moron to discuss lay off plans who tells you that you can't lay off who you want to because they've been in the position longer and have a college degree. The fact that they sleep at their desk and loiter around the office a couple hours a day doesn't factor in. No, damn it, you have to get rid of that young go getter full of potential instead because they've only been here 18 months and didn't get their degree. I think that was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

That said, thanks to all that gave positive feedback. I plan to continue to play and expect my numbers in the second year to improve.