Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Monster from BB, only SB calls

I'm torn between two ways to play a big hand like AA-JJ from the BB when only the SB calls. There seems to be a lot more action heads up because people figure if they hit top pair they are probably ahead of the only other person in the hand. You could make a lot of money with an overpair when your opponent flops top pair or sometimes even midpair. Also, there's only one opponent to draw out on you, so it can't hurt too much to let him see a flop, can it? On the other hand, if you raise from the BB when only SB calls, it may look like a steal and he will call with lesser holdings. This also makes a flop bet or raise look less suspicious.

I'm also wondering about how to play AK-AT. I always raise these holdings HU against the SB, but maybe they should be limped. Your opponent usually will pay you off if you make TPTK and he has TP as well. You're also last to act, so you can always take the pot if you don't hit and he checks to you. Does anyone limp when you are sur you have the better hand from the BB facing only the SB? What is the argument for raising?