Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: This is when you apply the squeeze play.

[ QUOTE ]
Well in Doyle Brunson's book he talks about this situation, about trying to catch something if a player is playing kings and aces and doesn't raise and you have a suited connector. He recommends just calling which is actually the play I would make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling with 76s with position to a loose raise and a call is a nice play to have in your arsenal, but only when the stacks are very deep. The thing about this play is that your first call is bad (meaning you are calling a 3xBB raise in a pot where you dont have 3xBB equity).

The reason you can make this play, is that on the flop, you are last to act, and they arent likely to put you on 76s. So, when you hit your hand (or a great draw), you are likely to win a big pot. When you miss the flop, you fold, and only lose 3xBB. So for this play to be profitable, you need the players in the hand, as well as yourself to have a lot of chips (implied odds).

An example of when I would do this is if the stack sizes were 3200, 3000, and I have 2200, and the raise is to 90 chips.

[ QUOTE ]

Possibly catch something then push, how if he is dead set on raising then 1500 is a nice number b/c its bigger than the pot but still not too much to where if he gets raised he can lay down the hand and still be in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to brush up on pot odds. The original raiser and caller will be getting great odds to call with a very wide range of hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course he didn't want to be called, but I'd doubt few hands would call his 1500 and not his all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just not true

Also, they point of this play is that we dont think that the original bet meant a lot. The player has been very liberal with his preflop raises. So we know this, we assume that the caller also knows this, making his range wider than usual as well. A raise after a raise and a call usually means a big hand, so both players will fold a very large % of their initial range getting only 1.6-1 on a call.

Also, super system usually is talking about very deep stacked play. You should read Harrington on Hold em