Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2005, 02:28 AM

Default O8 Tournament Bubble Hand - Analysis Wanted

$10+$1 Limit O8 tournament. Blinds are 1200/600, down to 29 people with several short stacks. 27 people get beer money.

I'm still struggling with Omaha so I want to get some feedback on this hand and my thoughts on where it went wrong.

Here are my thoughts:

1) I probably should've just folded to begin with. I had a good but not great high hand with no low potential.

1a) I think this may have been a good hand for a blind steal attempt if there hadn't been the one limper in front of me.

2) I'm of two minds on my flop play. On the one hand, I did get my money in with the best hand. (About 58% equity according to cardplayer.com's calculations.) A low was unlikely. On the other hand, there are obvious draws and it's not impossible that the bettor had QQ or (less likely) AA. I could've called the flop bet and been prepared to fold if a scare card came on the turn. This would've completely cripped me for the tournament but should've let me sneak into the money. (The bubble burst one hand after my bust-out.) Scooping would have moved me up to a bit below middle of the pack but I still would have had my work cut out for me to make it past the first money level.

I know I've mixed Omaha Hi/Lo thoughts with tournament theory thoughts here. Any advice on either would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PokerStars (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 600.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls 114 (All-In), MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls 892 (All-In).

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9c Ac Jc 9h (High: three of a kind, nines).
SB has As Js 6s Kh (High: flush, ace high).
BB has 6c 8d 2s 4s (Low: 8, 6, 4, 2, A | High: flush, queen high).
</font>