Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Question re: Dinner with Dan and Bill

In this August 2005 article, Mason Malmuth states that you shouldn't bet more than necessary in NL Hold 'em, referencing Dan Harrington & Bill Robertie, and gives the example of holding AK and flopping top pair with two suited cards on board. Rather than bet the pot or more, Malmuth states you should bet 1/2 to 2/3 the pot because (a) if the flush-draw calls, then he is still making an error, (b) betting more makes the flush-draw correctly fold without making a mistake and (c) you've risked less if you're in trouble versus trips or another better hand.

I don't understand (a). In a NL game, isn't the flush-draw likely to be CORRECT calling your 1/2 to 2/3 pot bet based on the IMPLIED odds? The only way I think this would not be true is if you were committed to folding if a third suited card came (capping the implied odds). But is that the correct play? Would you always fold top pair against a bettor when a third suited card came? If not, then by betting the full pot, you may be forcing a flush-draw to INCORRECTLY fold given the IMPLIED odds.

I'm new to the forum and apologize if my question is overly basic.

Thank you,
Andy