Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Overpair gets check-raised on paired flop

OK. My main opponent in this hand is the small blind, who has fairly kooky preflop stats of 60/20. However, he seems to be playing quite well after the flop and is not especially aggressive. This is the first time I've seen him check-raise a flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($210)
UTG ($82.70)
MP ($3.25)
Button ($35.45)
SB ($206.72)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $5.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $2.25 (All-In), Button folds, SB calls $9.

So, I get kings in the big blind, find that our SB friend has raised as he often does, and I re-raise him to $15 total. If SB is awake, and I think he is despite the 60/20, he sees me as tight and aggressive. My preflop raise rate is only around 7 or 8, so the reraise does a lot to define my hand.

Note that a very short stack gets all-in preflop, but this has no real effect on the hand except to provide some more dead money.

Flop: ($35.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $27</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $54</font>, Hero ?

So the flop looks good for KK, he checks to me, I bet assuming that it will all be over, and to my surprise he check-min-raises me. Like I said, he's not super-aggro postflop, and this is the first flop check-raise I've seen. Also, note that we're both pretty deep for the $100 game -- we both have about $190 when the flop betting starts.

So, what's going on here? Would he really be raising with a jack and risking losing me? Has he made a set of 2s for the boat? Or is he putting me on AK and raising for value with a hand like 99?

I realize this is a pretty common situation and normally I don't find these spots difficult. But the combination here of his preflop looseness, the absence of any special evidence for flop aggression, and the large amount of money left behind, all made me unsure of how to proceed.

Your move on the flop and your plan for the rest of the hand?

Thanks.