Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Determining if Im getting unlucky or outplayed.

After dropping 70BB in a 1/2 limit game earlier I put another 50 on the table.

I had been thinking I was just getting unlucky and the game was good so I should stay. People were limping in with hands like 105s A4s 35s and paying 4 bets pre flop to play them.

I was playing, to the best of my understanding, how SSH directs me to play. Very tight preflop, using the chart, raising and reraising when appropriate. Staying aggressive and not giving any free cards when I have a hand.

Post flop I was attempting to punish the draws by raising and reraising. Although, I have never seen any kind of draw fold. Gutshot, open ended or flush draws always call down no matter how many bets it is to them. Any pair seems to call down trying to catch 2 pair as well. But I continue to bet, raise and reraise as the book directs.

All this seems to do for me is up my losses when one of the 3 or 4 players in the hand catch something on the river. It may be the 4 outer or the open ended draw from the 2 gap unsuited they are holding or bottom and middle pair. It doesnt matter, they are getting there far more often than I am holding up.

After folding for another 20 minutes I found QQ. Middle position raised and I reraised to 3 bets. He called

Flop is A 10 3 rainbow. He checked to me and I bet out. He called.

Turn was my Q. He bet out and I raised. He makes it 4 to go and I call.
River is a brick. He checks, I bet, he raises.

Now I think I'm beat but I figure he is as likely to hold 2 pair as he is the straight so I just call.

He flips up the KJo hand and I decide its time to leave. Ive just dropped about half my second buy-in in one hand.

I dont think I played this hand poorly. I just ran into a bad spot. If anyone thinks I played it poorly please clue me in.

Please help me out. These type hands, combined with the endless run of suckout spots far outweigh the money I win when my hands hold up or get there themselves. I am just not getting it.

Aren't bad players supposed to lose eventually? Who do they lose to? The other bad players? They dont seem to lose to the solid players. They sit down, play random cards from any position for any amount and rake in pot after pot.

How do you guys beat these loose games? The loose players seem to collectively beat up the solid players. The only games I can scrape a BB an hour from are the VERY tight games where I pick up the blinds every 3 or 4 orbits and win a small pot once an hour.

I need some advice, reassurance or something to get me winning instead of giving my money to what I believe to be exceptionally bad players. Or am I the exceptionally bad player? When I sit down I watch the play and often say, well theres a guy who chases to the river with bottom pair hoping to catch 2 pair. He looks like a sucker. Or, theres a guy who just called 4 bets on the turn with a 4 out draw. He should pay me off. Yet these players are raking in the pots and I'm mucking my premium hands to 105o, J3s, and other such holdings at the showdown.