Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2003, 05:53 PM

Default Overthinking yourself out of the pot.

Ok, here is a good example of overcomplicating things.

1/2 at party. don't really have a read on anyone yet, but seems like a small bit tighter than most party games. maybe 1 or two less people to the flop.

in the CO and get J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, 2 folds, player to my left cold calls, I reraise, BB caps, three of us call.

Flop comes reverse devil 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . BB checks, UTG+1 bets, MP calls, I'm thinking because of preflop I am up against another pocket pair that beats me. I dont think anyone would open raise with less than 99, or maybe TT. I also am wary of BB going for the check raise, and contemplate folding. The pot is big enough however, that i call hoping to turn either a 9, J, or a card to give me more info (maybe an A, K, or Q to let me know where i stand). So i call as does BB.

Turn is 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . BB bets, UTG+1 raises, MP cold calls. Here I think, I am definitely beat, if not by PF raiser, by PF capper. Maybe BB has A9? maybe MP has A9/K9/T9 and just sucks. maybe i suck and should give my money to a worthy cause. maybe i should just start mugging people. I think at least UTG+1 and BB have me beat with a bigger boat or maybe the quads. I fold.

River comes 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. Checked around.

MP who called the whole was showed down K4o. UTG+1 who open raised lays down the unbeatable J8o. BB capper took down the pot with Q5s. now my toe hurts because i kicked the chair. my only consolation is that i will someday meet these outlaws again, and afterwards sleep on a big pile of cash.

Now to the critique. Would you have folded the turn. My biggest problem is my flop play. I feel like i overthought myself out of aggression and i should have jsut raised then. Even so, i don't know if it would have done any good. if someone is raising PF with J8o, i'm never putting him on that in a million years. How would you have played the streets differently.

-AA